Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Feeling Smug for no reason

This past weekend I felt smug doing the following:

1. Driving my dad's hybrid (Toyota Camry)
2. Boarding a plane before the other losers

One of the many mysteries of history is why royalty and the powerful from by-gone eras had people that would go before them proclaiming things. Maybe I watched too much Monty Python (Minstrel praising Sir Robin) rather than real history, but I don't think this whole notion of hiring someone to brag for you is a Lemming Lie.

What kind of person would not be embarrassed by a person shouting their greatness only because they are getting paid to do it?

Well, after this weekend, I think I'm that sort of person. A simple emblem on a car made me feel smug. The gate agent proclaiming the list of accomplishments (first class, 100,000 thousand mile members, those with perfect teethe...) could start boarding, then it was me! As I cut through the line of "amateur" travelers, I felt great because someone (gate agent) has said awe inspiring things that separated me from the rest of the losers waiting for me to board.

I wonder in what other ways I'm strutting just because I paid rather than actually accomplishing something impressive.

Any thoughts on other ways that we are paying to feel superior and smug?

No comments:

Post a Comment